Home > Services > Faculty Services
- Faculty are encouraged to be in frequent contact with librarians in order to keep one another apprised of the latest changes in resources, services, and curriculum; to discuss collaboration opportunities or other needs & concerns; or to let us know about your new publications.
- Personal Update - A librarian will meet with you or your department (in your office or in the library) to do personalized training on new databases, highlight new resources, as well as answer questions or hear your concerns.
Accessing Library's Collections
- Borrowing Privileges — Oakwood faculty may check out books for one semester; DVD/videos for one week.
- Renewals — items may be renewed once online via the catalog’s user services. Otherwise bring items to the Circulation Desk.
- Fines — Faculty do not pay overdue fines, but will be charged for lost or damaged materials.
- Reciprocal Borrowing – Oakwood faculty have reciprocal borrowing privileges with the libraries at Alabama A&M University, Athens State University and J.F. Drake State Technical College. Simply present your current faculty OU ID for service. You are responsible for all items borrowed or fees incurred.
Preview & Recommend Materials for Purchase
Choice Reviews Online (on-campus access only)
Choice: Current Reviews for Academic Libraries is the premier source for reviews of academic books, electronic media, and Internet resources of interest to those in higher education. More than 35,000 librarians, faculty, and key decision makers rely on Choice magazine and Choice Reviews Online for collection development and scholarly research. Choice reaches almost every undergraduate college and university library in the United States. Each year Choice publishes more than 7,000 reviews that are timely, authoritative, concise, and easy to use.
- For books - Submit orders approved by Department Chair directly to Mrs. Stella Mbyirukira
- For media - Submit orders approved by Department Chair directly to Mrs. Paulette Johnson
- For databases, journals and other requests, contact Mrs. Paulette Johnson
- Please provide as much information as possible about items requested.
- Items may be placed on reserves at the Circulation desk at least 48 hours before they are needed by students. Pick up reserve items at the end of each semester.
- Click here to fill out the Reserves form. Once the form is filled out email the form to Elaine Gray
- Faculty may reserve two smart classrooms and a conference room for the semester.
- The Computer Lab may be reserved only during exam week.
- Interlibrary Loans — When we don't have an item, we'll request it for you (2-10 day delivery). Contact Kieren Bailey via email or by phone 256-726-7248.
- OU 101: Basic orientation to library services and resources for freshman students (one class period).
- EN 112: Tailored instruction on defining research topics, finding relevant sources, understanding types of information for academic writing, evaluating sources, preventing plagiarism (preferably 2 class sessions)
- UPPER DIVISION – Librarians and faculty member set goals for class session. Librarians and discipline faculty select a particular class in a major to incorporate discipline-specific information competence goals. Students gain the necessary skills to carry over to other classes within the major.
- GRADUATE – Librarians and faculty member set goals for class session. Librarians and graduate faculty select the most appropriate course in the graduate program for this instruction.
Librarian Liaisons – A librarian is assigned to work with each department to determine needs and concerns.
Kieren Bailey - Communication & Fine Arts, Education, Social Work, Psychology
Heather Rodriguez-James – English & Foreign Languages, Music, Religion & Theology, History & Political Science
Jacqueline Neath-Foster — Biology, Chemistry, Family & Consumer Science, Health & Physical Education
Paulette McLean Johnson – Business & Information Science, Media, Math & Computer Sciences, Nursing
LEAP & GRADUATE FACULTY
- Please read (and ask your students to read) the Off-campus page to see what services we offer.
- Faculty needing photocopies from a non-circulating item (journal article or reference book, for example) may use the library's office copier for single copies at no charge.
- Do not use this copier for items that can be checked out, for multiple copies of an item, for class handouts, or personal copies.
- Ask for assistance at the Circulation Desk.
Faculty Research Showcase
- The library welcomes copies of your dissertation and additional research.
- Library sponsors Meet Oakwood Authors, an opportunity to exhibit and share about your publications with colleagues, students, and community.
Elaine Gray – Circulation & Reserves 7251/7247
Kieren Bailey – Interlibrary Loans /Reference 7248/7245
Paulette Johnson – Media Resources /Reference 7250
Heather Rodriguez-James – Archives & Museum 7259/7249
Jacqueline Neath-Foster – Reference/Cataloging 7252